Introduction to data protection at BSH
1. About us and our website
We, BSH Home Appliances Ltd (BSH) of Level 3, Air New Zealand Building, Smales Farm, 74 Taharoto Road, Takapuna, Auckland 0622, operate this website. Please use the contact information provided below to contact us.
2. Our guiding principles
BSH is committed to protecting your personal information. Your data is therefore processed with great care and in strict compliance with applicable data protection law.
BSH must comply with the Privacy Act 1993 (Privacy Act), and handles the personal information that it collects in accordance with the Privacy Act. BSH is also required to comply with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
Organizational and technical security measures have been taken to protect all of our websites against the risks present in processing personal data. Our partners who support us in the provision of this website must comply with these provisions as well.
1. What is personal information?
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether that information is true or not and whether it is recorded in a material form or not.
2. How does BSH collect your personal information?
BSH collects the personal information from you when you:
- purchase our products or services or receive a refund;
- complete a warranty registration or make a warranty claim;
- respond to one of our surveys, promotions or competitions;
- attend one of our events, classes or product consultations;
- otherwise contact us, either online through our website, our social media accounts via direct message, by email, mail, in person or by phone (you will be informed if we record phone calls and why);
- register to receive newsletters or updates from us;
- access and use any of our website services;
- post a consumer or product review or comment about a BSH product or review information about a BSH product on our websites or one of our social media accounts (including Facebook, Youtube and Instagram) or a third party website, such as sites operated by our retailers;
- attend one of our brand experience centres; or
- apply for a job with us.
Sometimes we may also collect your personal information from third parties such as when:
- you return a warranty registration to a third party you bought a BSH product or service from;
- applying for a job with BSH, we may require you to take a medical assessment, police check and/or drivers licence check;
- you publically post on or privately send a consumer or product review or comment about a BSH product via a third party website which our third party service providers help us to collect; or
- you visit and access or request information about BSH products and services from our retailer websites.
3. What personal information does BSH collect?
The personal information which BSH may collect about you includes:
- your name and contact or delivery details including address, email address and phone number;
- your credit card and/or banking details;
- details of the product or service you have purchased, including warranty details;
- information which you provide to us in response to one of our surveys, promotions or competitions;
- records of our communications with you, including any complaints, requests, claims, or after-sales service issues or queries;
- details of your attendance at one of our brand experience centres, events, classes or product consultations;
- information provided by you and third parties as part of your job application (depending on the role for which you have applied this may include sensitive information and/or government related identifiers);
- information in any consumer or product review or comment you publically post on or privately send via our websites, social media accounts or third party website;
- your visits to and activities on our retailer websites in connection with our products and services; and
- if you apply for a job with BSH, depending on the type of job you apply for, we may also collect additional information such as your criminal record through police checks, and heath information for a functional capacity evaluation.
4. Use of personal information
BSH will use your personal information for the purposes of carrying out our business including:
- delivering a product or service that you have purchased from us;
- customer administration, including for registering and managing warranties, responding to complaints, claims, enquiries, comments and requests, and performing after-sales services and assessing and responding to consumer or product reviews;
- product and service development;
- surveys, promotions, market research and direct marketing;
- assessing your job application;
- technical administration of the BSH websites; and
- complying with our legal obligations.
5. Dealing with us anonymously or using a pseudonym
Where practical and lawful, you can deal with us anonymously or use a pseudonym if you wish including when you post a consumer or product review or comment. However, in many instances, if we cannot identify you or if you do not provide us with the personal information we request, then we may not be able to provide you with our products or services, respond to your enquiries, review, comments, posts or complaints, or assess job applications.
6. Direct marketing and opting-out
Depending on how we collect your personal information and interact with you, we may, with your consent where required, communicate with you (e.g. via email, SMS, mail or telephone or via our social media account messaging) about our current and new products and services or promotions. If you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from us in the future you may opt-out at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer on 0800 807 723 or via email to email@example.com
7. Disclosure of personal information
We work together with a number of third parties. We have chosen these service providers carefully to keep your information safe. We may need to disclose to, or share your personal information with third parties, some of which may be located overseas, including:
- to our related companies within the BSH Group (principally located in Australia, Singapore, India, China and European Economic Area (EEA) countries);
- to third parties such as our agents, contractors, product distributors and service providers that we engage to provide services such as hosting services, programming services, sales and marketing services and hotline services (including through their online platforms) to us or on our behalf (principally located in Australia, the United States of America, Singapore, India and EEA countries);
- to social media sites such as Facebook to create customised audiences for targeted marketing;
- where disclosure is otherwise authorised or required by or under an New Zealand law or court/tribunal order.
8. Quality and security of personal information
BSH takes reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it collects is accurate, up-to-date and complete, and when being used or disclosed, relevant for the purpose of the use or disclosure. Please help us to maintain the quality of your personal information by contacting us on the details below if you believe that the personal information which BSH holds about you may be inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or irrelevant.
Our security procedures are continually enhanced as new technology becomes available.
Data processing on the website
1. Website technology and cookie use
When you visit our websites our web servers automatically record the following information:
- date of the access;
- time and length of the access;
- URL of the linking website;
- name of your internet service provider;
- websites you actually visit;
- files accessed;
- browser type and version;
- operating system;
- IP address (anonymised).
BSH allows third parties to use, third party cookies on the BSH websites to display relevant ads when you are visiting BSH websites, external websites and social media platforms. Third party cookies may be used by organisations such as, Facebook and Google, amongst others.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit, www.allaboutcookies.org.
In order to help us design our website appropriately, we may collect usage data relating to your visit to our website using analytics cookies and other technologies. As part of this, we record the mouse movements and clicks of randomly selected users of our website. Your IP address is anonymised as a matter of course. The resultant log of your use of our website is randomly analysed so that we can derive potential improvements for our website from it.
We use service provider Mouseflow ApS, Flaesketorvet 68, 1711 Copenhagen, Denmark for the purpose of collecting this usage data.
We do not conflate the resultant usage profiles with your name or any other details that could disclose your identity, such as your e-mail address. Under the Privacy Act, we are permitted to process data in this context with your consent. The usage data is deleted three months after the date on which it is collected.
Opt-out: Please use Mouseflow’s opt-out website via the following link if you wish to prevent this usage data being collected: https://mouseflow.com/opt-out.
Our websites may also use other web analytics tools and technologies to facilitate the purchase of our products you wish to buy including by connecting you to products available on our retailers’ websites, and to understand your purchasing and other activities on our retailers’ websites in connection with our products and services.
Our website provides the option of subscribing to our newsletter. If you subscribe to receive our newsletter, and therefore consent to it being sent to you, your details are solely used in order to send you the newsletter. You can withdraw this consent at any time. The relevant link is included in each copy of our newsletter. We will make a note of the fact that you have unsubscribed from the newsletter in our database.
1. Your right to access, correct and complete your personal information
You may generally access on request personal information which BSH holds about you, and you may request without charge corrections to personal information which you believe is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. To make a request, please contact our Privacy Officer on the details below.
We may need to ask you a few questions in order to verify your identity before we can respond to your request. If we are unable to provide access to, or correct your personal information, we will inform you in writing of our reasons and how you may take the matter further if you are not satisfied with our decision.
You can also ask us to associate with your information a statement if you believe the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading which we will take reasonable steps to do.
2. Your point of contact for questions relating to your personal information
If you have any questions about how BSH handles your personal information, or if you are concerned that we may have breached your privacy and wish to make a complaint, please put your complaint in writing and send it by mail or email to our Privacy Officer using the details below. We will investigate your complaint and will notify you of a decision in relation to your complaint as soon as practicable after it has been made.
If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner (NZPC) at www.privacy.org.nz or on (09) 302 8680 (Auckland) or (04) 474 7590 (Wellington) to make a query about your privacy rights, or to lodge a complaint about how we have handled your personal information. The NZPC has the power to investigate the matter and make a determination.
BSH Home Appliances Ltd
Air New Zealand Building, Smales Farm
74 Taharoto Road, Takapuna, Auckland 0622
Telephone: 0800 807 723
3. Changes to this policy
Last updated: May 2020